Teen Yoga Classes in Glenelg
Yoga can positively support a teens transition between the ages of 13 – 19, where many changes take place.
These years are a particularly stressful time for the body and the mind, yet our classes give teens tools needed to deal with any emotional and physical challenges.
Teens are already so busy so why add Yoga?
Clinical studies have shown that yoga improves academic performance and emotional balance as well as helping to foster motivation. Yoga helps to shift self-awareness to internal cues and emotions, allowing for greater self-regulation.
 van Pelt J. Yoga and children’s mental health. Soc Work Today (2011) 11(6):8.
How our teen yoga classes can help
- Teens are under so much pressure from school, friends and social media. Yoga gives them an understanding of how to control their thoughts and their minds so that all of this has less of an impact. Mindfulness techniques give them resilience when difficulties arrive at this turbulent time of their lives.
- They can stretch in an environment which is non competitive. Here they can let go of the pressures and worries of life and learn just to be.
- Teen yoga is fast paced and exciting. Poses effect every part of the body. Yoga stretches tight muscles and strengthens weak ones.
- Many teens suffer from pain from fast growing bodies, poor posture from carrying heavy bags and screen time. Yoga stretches and releases tight, short muscles and improves posture.
- Demands of competitive sport cause pain and injury. Yoga has been seen to reduce injury from competitive sport which is why sports teams such as the Hockeyroos and the Australian cricket team use yoga as part of their training program
Our classes are designed to help with focus and concentration, through the techniques of mindfulness.
Most teens have short, tight muscles from the high demands that intense sport plays on the body, as well as the growing process where bones lengthen faster than muscles.
- Yoga safely lengthens every muscle in the body, relieving tension and pain.
- It protects the body from injury by keeping muscles and joints mobile and balanced.
- It calms the mind with deep relaxation and relieves turbulent emotions.
- It improves coordination and balance.
- Yoga improves the rounded shoulders of “computer posture’, relieving neck and shoulder pain.
- Yoga brings a sense of confidence and wellbeing.
- It is non-competitive.
What to expect from a class
- The class is fast paced and starts with dynamic poses.
- Teens will do inversions which bring about peace and calm.
- They will experience a deep, led relaxation and mindfulness techniques.
When do the classes run
Dates: Starts Thursday 26th July and runs through the term (10 weeks). Teens can sign up for the term or attend casually.
Length/times: 5.15pm – 6.15pm.
Cost: $138 for 10 weeks (attending once per week) OR $15 for a casual class.
*Casual classes can be booked at the centre.